Ten of the over 100 students abducted from the Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State, have escaped from an unidentified camp of their Boko Haram abductors. This brought to 14 the number of students that have so far escaped from the Boko Haram abductors.
Four of the pupils had earlier escaped when the vehicle, conveying them to the terrorists camp, broke down on Tuesday morning.
The Governor of Borno State, Alhaji Kashim Shettima, said this to newsmen on Wednesday in Maiduguri.
Shettima promised N50m windfall to anyone with information that might lead to freeing the abducted students from the insurgents.
On how the 10 students escaped, the governor said they were asked to be involved in the preparation of meals by the insurgents and they took the opportunity of washing plates to flee the camp.
The governor said his government was willing to do everything to ensure that the female students get reunited with their family.
He said he had been in constant touch with the principal of the school and the leaders of Chibok, adding that most of the residents were involved in the search for the students.
The governor, who was in pensive mood at the press briefing, said, “The commissioner of education has been in constant touch with the school and the people of the town. I have also been speaking to the principal and the district head of Chibok on hourly basis.”
Shettima, while making a pledge of N50m for anyone with information that could lead to freeing the abducted students from the Boko Haram enclave, said he didn’t have the exact number of students abducted. (Punch)