Ambrose All University (AAU), Ekpoma Chapter of Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has announced the suspension of its 66-day old strike.
The state-owned Ambrose All University (AAU), Ekpoma Chapter of Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), yesterday announced the suspension of its 66 days old strike action over unpaid salaries for several months and more than 1-year of unpaid check-off dues and other sundry deductions from salaries in the institution.
The University’s chapter of ASUU began strike action on 25 of March, this year to press for the payment of unpaid wages/emoluments, check-off dues, and other sundry deductions from the salaries of staff in the institution.
The University’s Chapter of ASUU in a statement made available to newsmen in Benin City. yesterday said the suspension of the strike action was as a result of a Memorandum of Action MOA), between the University Administration and the Union after several engagements.
At its meeting of Monday, 31st of May, 2021, where the MoA was received and discussed, the Congress of the University’s ASUU resolved to accept the said MoA and subsequently suspended its strike action, effective 31st of May, 2021. Consequent on the above, the Union directed its members to return to work without further delay.
In the statement signed by Dr. Monday Igbafen and Dr. Anthony Coker-Alzobioje, Chairperson and Secretary respectively, the Union gave the details of the MoA to include;
- That the Government will meet its obligation of paying the first tranche of the outstanding emoluments to the staff of the University within the week.
- The first tranche constitutes a minimum of two months full (gross) salaries (January and February 2021) as well as two months of outstanding check-off dues and other sundry deductions (April and May 2020).
- That the first tranche is paid in the first week of June 2021. The remaining emolument(salaries, check-off dues, and other sundry deductions) shall be paid on or before the 30th of June 2021.
- No member of the Union will be victimized because of the strike action.
- If the above condition is breached within the specified period, the strike action shall resume without notice.
The Union, however, advised against the breach of the said MoA in the interest of sustained industrial peace in the institution, while appreciating the resilience of members, the patience of students and parents during the period of the suspended strike action.