The African Union Youth Volunteer Corps (AU-YVC), a programme inaugurated in the year 2010, holds the esteemed position of being a flagship initiative within the African Union’s myriad youth-focused programmes. This highly prestigious programme is dedicated to the identification, education, and deployment of young, qualified professionals originating from all 55 African Union Member States. These professionals volunteer their skills and expertise for a full-year tenure in various operational roles across the continent.
|🚀 Purpose||Promote youth’s role in achieving the AU Agenda2063 by volunteerism, skill-sharing, and creativity.|
|🎯 Eligibility||Citizen of AU, aged 18-35, post-secondary qualification, available in 2023/24, proficiency in AU languages, volunteering and work experience.|
|💼 Skills||Computer proficiency, email, good communication, and interpersonal skills. Proficiency in multiple AU languages is a plus.|
|💡 Core Competencies||Clear communication, commitment to work, cultural adaptability, integrity.|
|🎁 Entitlements||Training, deployment, networking, travel, stipend, health insurance, AU passport, separation allowance, mentorship.|
|⏳ Application Deadline||19th September, 2023 11h59 p.m. EAT.|
|🖱️ How to Apply||Online application via the AU careers website with necessary attachments and comprehensive answers to listed queries.|
The Objectives Behind AU-YVC
The overarching goal of the AU-YVC is the empowerment of the youth as key enablers in the fulfilment of Africa’s development aims and ambitions. By enhancing the role of young individuals in policy formulation, development programmes, and social initiatives, AU-YVC contributes significantly to the actualisation of the African Union’s Agenda 2063, colloquially known as ‘The Africa We Want’.
The programme seeks to foster continental unity, economic prosperity, and sustainable peace by galvanising a diverse set of skills, knowledge, and creative ideas through a communal platform. These ambitions are congruent with the resolution encapsulated in Assembly/AU/Dec.274 (XVI) of January 2010, wherein the African Union Heads of States and Governments articulated the necessity for continental volunteer initiatives that would energise youth engagement and expedite Africa’s socio-economic development.
Who Can Apply? Eligibility Criteria
Those wishing to participate must satisfy the following eligibility conditions:
- Nationality: Must be a citizen of an AU Member State, either residing within Africa or in the Diaspora.
- Age Limit: Between 18 and 35 years of age (must still be under 35 at the conclusion of the 12-month service).
- Educational Requirements: Hold at least a post-secondary certified qualification, which can range from Technical and Vocational Education Training (TVET) to Master’s degrees.
- Availability: Must be prepared to devote an entire year (2023/24) to professional volunteer service.
- Mobility: Willingness to live and work in another AU Member State.
- Language Proficiency: Mastery in at least one of the AU’s working languages.
- Experience: A minimum of one year each in verifiable volunteering and professional work.
Required Skills and Core Competencies
Applicants must possess:
- Computer Proficiency: Skills in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Communication Skills: Both oral and written.
- Interpersonal Competence: Ability to operate efficiently in a multi-cultural setup.
- Moral Integrity: Highest standards of ethics and integrity.
Entitlements and Benefits for Volunteers
Volunteers are accorded several benefits including:
- Exposure to the highest levels of continental policy formulation.
- Networking Opportunities with other young leaders.
- Financial Support: A monthly stipend, economy return tickets, and health insurance.
- Training and Mentorship opportunities.
How to Apply: Application Process and Deadlines
The application window remains open until 19th September 2023, 11:59 p.m. EAT. Interested candidates should proceed to apply online at the African Union Job Portal.
- Updated professional CV (maximum 3 pages)
- National ID or Passport bio page
- Certificate of highest qualification
- Letter of recommendation
- Cover letter addressing key questions
Please note: Incomplete and late submissions will not be entertained. The application process is stringent and submitting incorrect or incomplete information will result in immediate disqualification.
Disclaimer: The African Union does not charge or request facilitation fees at any stage of the application process.
This monumental programme is not just a career opportunity but a call to become a part of Africa’s promising future. If you meet the criteria and are interested in contributing to Africa’s development through volunteerism, this is the perfect chance to make your mark.