Etisalat Nigeria is inviting writers and other members of the literary community across Africa to its 2018 Prize for Literature.
Etisalat Nigeria is one of the major mobile telecommunications service providers in Nigeria. Established in 2008, the network has since grown in leaps and bounds, and currently holds 15% of the market share with over 15 million subscribers. Etisalat Nigeria consistently demonstrates its core values of – teamwork, integrity, passion for excellence, empowering our people and growing our people as it offers them world-class telecommunications services. Etisalat is also committed to taking its place amongst leading corporate citizens in Nigeria by making wide-impact and sustainable social investments. Etisalat believes that apart from offering a solid platform of technological innovation, sustainable investment is the bedrock of stellar growth and economic stability
About The Prize
The Etisalat Prize for Literature is the first ever pan-African prize celebrating first time writers of published fiction books. The Prize aims to serve as a platform for the discovery of new creative talent out of the continent and invariably promote the burgeoning publishing industry in Africa.
By recognizing and celebrating writers and other members of the literary community across Africa, Etisalat plans to bring some much needed awareness and acclaim to the art of Fiction writing while also applauding and rewarding the efforts of those who have ventured into this genre in recent times.
At the core of Etisalat’s vision is promoting passion, nurturing talent and providing a platform for communicating ideas, The ‘Etisalat Prize for Literature’ wholly embodies this vision, bringing together celebrated high profile writers, book critics and academics from across the Continent and beyond in order to give credence and honor to ‘home-grown’ talent while also rewarding new entrants and encouraging further participation in this area.
The winner receives £15,000, an engraved Montblanc Meisterstück pen, and an Etisalat-sponsored fellowship at the University of East Anglia, where he or she will be mentored by Professor Giles Foden, author of The Last King of Scotland’. The winner and the two runners-up also participate in a multi-city book tour sponsored by Etisalat. Etisalat purchases 1,000 copies of each of the shortlisted titles for distribution to schools, libraries and book clubs across the African continent.
Alongside the Prize for Literature is the Flash Fiction Award, an online-based competition open to all African writers of unpublished short stories of no more than 300 words. The winner of the Flash Fiction Award receives £1,000 and a high-end device, while the two runners-up for the Flash Fiction Award receive £500 each in addition to high-end devices.
Criteria for Entry
- Submissions will only be accepted from publishing houses
- All books entered should have a registered ISBN number or equivalent.
- Entries by new writers must be published within the last 24 months before submission
- Entries for fiction books will be submitted by publishers who have published a minimum of three (3) authors.
- Publisher should have been a registered business (with certificate of incorporation as a publisher) for minimum of three years
- Each publisher will be allowed to enter a maximum of three (3) books – however books maybe called in by the judges.
- Each entry will be required to be accompanied by Seven (7) copies of the book being entered along with acceptance of publicity terms.
- The Etisalat Prize for Literature is not open to employees of any organisation under Emirates Telecommunications Corporation with branded trade name Etisalat.
How to Enter
6th Floor, Building 2,
Oriental Office Building 3,
Lekki Road – Victoria Island,
Entry Deadline: The closing deadline is 18th September 2017.
If you think this post can be helpful to somebody else, please share it on Twitter, Facebook, G+, Whatsapp or Email it to friends. There are buttons below for this (easy to use too)!