Fagge Gives 2 Last Conditions for the Suspension of ASUU Strike:
President of the Academic Staff Union of Universities, Dr. Nasir Issa Fagge, yesterday, gave conditions for the suspension of the six month old strike. Fagge who spoke on Channels Television, yesterday morning, said once government opens the bank account with N200 billion, requested by the union, the strike would be suspended.
“Once that is done, and the committee that is supposed to disburse the funds starts working, our members will have no reason not to suspend the strike action.
He asked: “Why won’t government make available this money so that we know the money is there and the universities commence drawing from this money to address the problem of decay in infrastructure, teaching and research facilities? When that is done, our members will suspend the strike.”
The ASUU president also dismissed insinuations in some quarters that the union had been split.
On suggestions in some government quarters that ASUU was being influenced by opposition parties, Dr. Fagge said “ASUU is a union of cerebral intellectuals”. He said the union is not influenced by religion, or ethnicity, saying however that members of the union are free to associate with any political party of their choice.
Meanwhile, the University of Calabar has announced that the university resumes today for academic activities and directed all students who did not finish their registration to do so immediately.
But Chairman of Academic Staff Union of Universities, Unical chapter, Dr. James Ekprinya has warned parents that the university is still on strike and that any one that releases his ward is doing that at his own peril.
In a press release by the Deputy Registrar, Academic division, Mr. Mike Monity, the university yesterday stated that, “Normal Academic/Allied activities will resume tomorrow, the December 4, 2013 at the University of Calabar.
Monity in a release said the resumption was the decision reached at an emergency meeting of senate held at the senate chambers of the Institution.
It further stated that “the decision is in compliance with the directive issued by the Minister of Education” and that details of the revised university calendar would be disclosed in due course.
It also advised students with pending activities like second semester registration, Final year and Post Graduate research projects to start immediately as the school works out time table for lectures.
The ASUU chairman, Dr. Ekpirinya said that the congress rose from its congress with “a strong resolve to continue the strike until the agreements are implemented to the letter.
“We did not close school, we will not re-open it. We warn parents that any one who decides to send his or her ward to school is doing so at his or her peril.”
In a similar move, University of Benin chapter of ASUU, yesterday, vowed to continue the current strike action and admonished President Goodluck Jonathan to embrace dialogue with the union rather than threats.
Meanwhile, no sign of resumption of academic activities at the university yesterday, despite the announcement by the university authorities Monday, calling on students and academic staff to resume duties.
Addressing journalists yesterday, chairman of the UNIBEN Chapter of the ASUU, Dr Anthony Monye-Emina who was recently involved in the accident that led to the death of Professor Iyayi, advised parents to inform their children to stay at home, insisting that the strike action will not be called off until the Federal Government implements the agreements.
According to him: “We want to advise parents not to send their children back to campus in the event of any announcement of resumption of classes by the university administration in line with the supervisory Minister’s directive. The union has not called off the strike. The President should continue on the path of honour to dialogue with the union as this is the only way to find an immediate and lasting solution to the crisis in the university system.”
The University of Agriculture Abeokuta chapter of ASUU has vowed not to be cowed by the sack threat by the Federal Government, warning its members against signing the register by the University.
Addressing newsmen, yesterday, at the COPLANT auditorium of the University, the chairperson for ASUU -UNAAB, Dr. Biodun Badmus said the Union would not resume as directed by the Federal Government.
Badmus who was flanked by some past leaders of the union in the university advised the Federal Government to implement the agreement made with the Union for the sake of the students in the country.
Speaking on the plans by the union against any member that signs the register, Dr. Badmus said that the union would not hesitate to discipline any member of the Union who signs back to work register.
He said “ Of course, even in the days of Jesus Christ there are Judases, it is envisaged and the union has its practices and code of conduct and there are laid down procedures to thrash out such areas should anybody sign back to work”.
While proffering solution to the problem, the Union leader said “the ball is in the court of the Federal Government, ASUU has not closed its doors to dialogue. We appeal to the Federal Government to do what is needful. “If any meeting should be called, the National officers of ASUU are ready to meet the government to resolve the issue on ground”.
Source: Information Nigeria
If you think this post can be helpful to somebody else, please share it on Twitter, Facebook, G+, Whatsapp or Email it to friends. There are buttons below for this (easy to use too)!