‘Is LASU Owing Salaries? The Answer is No’ – VC

Lagos State University, LASU is not owing staff salary. Salaries are being paid as at when due. 

Prof Obafunwa

Prof Obafunwa

THE Vice Chancellor,Lagos State University, LASU, Professor John Obafunwa has disclosed that the university is not owing any staff salary. Prof Obafunwa said, “Is LASU owing salaries? The answer is no”. Because salaries are being paid as at when due.

What they are referring to is not salary that being owed. Before, I became vc, there was a time that government increased the salaries and backdated it. It is the 18 months arrears that they backdated  they are referring to salaries owed.

“The government paid one month from the 18 months. Looking at the finances of the university, the 17 months amounted to about N2.2b. After our discussion with the state government when I came on board, the state decided to pay 1.1billion while LASU will pay 1.1billion. I must give credit to the state government for changing its positions because initially it said it is not owing LASU. The 50 per cent from the state government was spread over a period, just as LASU also started paying in instalments”.

The first was 20 percent, then 20 percent was paid. After some time, another 15 per cent was paid. Making 55 per cent. The remaining 45 per cent amount to 500 million. Why were we able to pay that money instalmentally? We were able to pay because of the school fees. Now, we are back to school fees of N25,000.

If you think this post can be helpful to somebody else, please share it on Twitter, Facebook, Whatsapp or Email it to friends. There are buttons below for this (easy to use too)!
Join Over 350,000 + Readers.
Get a free daily update via Email HERE

Leave a Reply