This is to inform the general public and especially indigenes of Rivers, Delta and Bayelsa States that the fifth annual Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria (SPDC) Niger Delta Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme application is on.
The objective of the scheme is to provide an opportunity for qualifying students from these Niger Delta States to further their education in courses that are relevant to the oil and gas industry.
In the four years since the programme was launched 40 students have benefitted from the opportunity to study at world-renowned institutions.
SPDC will award 10 scholarships for one-year M.Sc studies in partnership with three universities in the UK—Imperial College London, University College, London and the University of Leeds for the academic year commencing September 2014.
The following courses will be offered:
IMPERIAL COLLEGE, LONDON
- MSc PETROLEUM ENGINEERING
- MSc PETROLEUM GEOSCIENCE
- MSc PETROLEUM GEOPHYSICS
UNIVERSITY COLLEGE, LONDON
- MSc CHEMICAL/PROCESS ENGINEERING
- MSc MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
- MSc CIVIL ENGINEERING
UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS
- MSc EXPLORATION GEOPHYSICS
- MSc ELECTRONIC/ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
To qualify for the scholarship, applicants must:
- display intellectual ability and leadership potential
- meet the University’s English language requirements (usually at least 6.5 in IELTS or equivalent TOEFL score valid for Sept 2014, admission)
- be between 21-28 years by 30/09/2014
- be indigenes of Rivers, Delta or Bayelsa States (proof of this will be required)
- currently reside in Nigeria
- return and take up permanent residence in Nigeria after completion of the proposed programme of study
- have obtained a university degree equivalent to a UK Second Class Upper (Honours Degree) at a minimum
- not have studied previously in the UK or any other developed country
- have a valid Nigerian passport valid till December, 2015
- be neither current nor former employees (who have left employment less than 5 years before) of SPDC, the Royal Dutch Shell Group of Companies or Karamat Ltd
- not be a spouse, child or ward of staff of Shell Companies in Nigeria or Karamat Ltd.
- Submit application for admission to the respective university for any of the qualifying courses
- Application forms for the scholarship will ONLY be available through the websites of the participating universities following an offer of admission
- Universities will process applications and select candidates to attend an interview with a Consultant before being considered for final selection
- Completed scholarship application forms must reach participating universities not later than January 24, 2014.
The scholarship will cover tuition fees, one return flight ticket from Nigeria to the UK and a contribution towards living expenses only*.
MORE INFORMATION CAN BE OBTAINED AT firstname.lastname@example.org or through the individual universities.
*Please note that the stipends are based on the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) published living rates and are limited to this only.
If you think this post can be helpful to somebody else, please share it on Twitter, Facebook, G+, Whatsapp or Email it to friends. There are buttons below for this (easy to use too)!