The management of the University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) postgraduate school is now selling applications forms for admission into its various PGD, Master, M.Phil and Ph.D. Degree programmes for the 2020/2021 academic session. See the courses, requirements and how to obtain UNILORIN postgraduate form below.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for admission into the University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) postgraduate programmes (Ph.D. Degree, M.Phil /Ph.D. Degree, Master Degree and Postgraduate Diploma) for the 2020/2021 academic session.
Before you proceed, check: UNILORIN Postgraduate COURSES.
This is to inform the general public that the Management of the University of Ilorin has approved that the University portal be re-opened from Monday, 23rd November to Sunday, 13th December, 2020 for:
- application for Admissions into Postgraduate Academic Programmes 2020/2021;
Prospective applicants for admission who are yet to apply are hereby enjoined to take advantage of this golden opportunity.
Applicants for admission are requested to:
- read the instruction on the advertisement of postgraduate programmes carefully and complete the application forms online on or before Sunday, 13th December, 2020;
- submit the necessary documents as contained in the instruction below to the Postgraduate School on or before Monday, 21st December, 2020; and
- academic transcript should be addressed and forwarded to the Head of Department where admission is being sought not later than Thursday, 24th December, 2020.
Kindly note that this opportunity would not be extended beyond 13th December, 2020.
- Only available Courses for the session are advertised and as such candidates are advised to select courses available in the advertisement. Any action contrary to this instruction is at the candidate’s risk, please.
- Candidates are advised to PRINT out the advertisement and STUDY thoroughly before COMMENCING the application procedure
UNILORIN Postgraduate Programmes, Duration & General Information
1. Ph.D. Degree Programmes
- These are available to holders of M.A; M.Ed.; M.Eng.; M.Sc.; LL.M; M.Comm.H.; and M.P.H degrees, with a minimum of 60% or cumulative Grade Point Average score in their Master degree programmes. A Ph.D. degree programme runs for a minimum period of 36 calendar months and a maximum period of 48 calendar months for full-time candidates OR a minimum period of 48 calendar months and a maximum period of 60 calendar months for part-time candidates. Relevant Courses will be taken for the Ph.D. studies where prescribed and a Thesis is required at the end of the Ph.D. programme.
2. M.Phil /Ph.D. Degree Programmes
- Candidates who score between 55.00 and 59.99 percent Cumulative Grade Point Average can apply for admission into the Master of Philosophy (M.Phil/Ph.D.) degree programme. The M.Phil/Ph.D. degree programme is available only to full-time candidates. It runs for a minimum period of 12 calendar months and a maximum period of 24 calendar months and a dissertation is produced after the research work. Candidates in this category are eligible for conversion to Ph.D. candidature, following a progress assessment report to be made by a Panel of Examiners at the end of the first session of registration. To be eligible for conversion for the Ph.D. program, candidates are expected to score not less than 60% (aggregate) at the end of the first session.
3. Master Degree Programmes
- M.A.; M.Ed.; M.Eng.; M.Sc.; M.Com.H., LL.M and M.P.H. degrees run for a minimum period of 24 calendar months and a maximum period of 36 calendar months for full-time candidates OR a minimum period of 36 calendar months and a maximum period of 48 calendar months for part-time candidates. All Master Degree Programmes are by course work. This is in addition to a research report at the end of which a dissertation is produced
4. Postgraduate Diploma Degree Programmes
- Postgraduate Diploma degrees are available to candidates with a Third class (honours) degree.
5. General information
- The Postgraduate session for Postgraduate programmes is 12 calendar months, commencing on 2nd October and ending on 30th September of the following year. The 12 calendar months start to count automatically from the date of first registration.
- Applicants are to note that, programmes automatically lapses at the expiration of the maximum duration for each programme. However, a candidate may apply for an extension of not more than 12 months, in the first instance, subject to a maximum of two such extensions.
UNILORIN Postgraduate Admission Specific Requirements
- Applicants for the Postgraduate Diploma in Computer Science shall satisfy one of the following:
- a minimum of first degree in any of the following disciplines from a recognised University: Sciences, Engineering, Social Sciences or the Humanities.
- HND in Computer Science or Engineering from recognized Polytechnics with a minimum of Lower Credit; and
- HND in any other discipline different from those in (ii) but preferably from Sciences or Social Sciences with a minimum of Lower Credit from a recognized Polytechnic or equivalent Institution, with at least one year cognate experience.
- Applicants for Postgraduate Diploma in Statistics shall satisfy one of the following:
- A minimum of an honour’s degree from a recognized University in any of Science and Social Science disciplines;
- HND in Statistics from a recognized Polytechnic with a minimum of Lower Credit.
- The M.A. Peace and Security Studies is OPEN ONLY to participants of the Executive Intelligence Management Course (EIMC) of the Institute of Security Studies, Abuja.
- The M.A. Peace and Strategic Studies is OPEN ONLY to participant in the Executive Management Course (EMC) of the Nigerian Army School of Education (NASE), Ilorin or any other equivalent programme approved by NASE.
- The M.Sc. Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM) is OPEN ONLY to participants of the Natural Water Institute, Kaduna.
UNILORIN Postgraduate Admission Eligibility
- All Certificates shall be available at the point of purchasing the application form. The National Youth Service Corp Discharge Certificate OR Exemption Certificate should be presented on or before
September 30th, 2020.
- Candidates are expected to submit their application forms online together with the scanned copies of their credentials.
- All supporting documents in (i) above and the hard copy of the application form should be forwarded to the Secretary, Postgraduate School, University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Nigeria between
Monday, 1st June, 2020 and Friday 10th, July, 2020, while the submission of Transcripts of Academic Records should be to the Head of Department where the admission is being sought. The Postgraduate School will not be held liable for any misdirected transcript, please.
- All candidates must have 5 O/L Credit passes, including English Language and Mathematics.
- Applicants for the Master degree programmes who are graduates of the University of Ilorin and other recognized universities must have a minimum of Second Class Honours Degree (Lower Division) and must be applying for programmes in which they have their first degrees. However, applicants with Second Class Honours Degree (Lower Division) and those with higher classes of degrees seeking admissions into programmes outside those in which they have their first degrees may be admitted, provided they satisfy Senate in a qualifying examination to be conducted. The least class of Degree for all academic programme applicants is Second Class Honours Degree (Lower Division), regardless of the institution where the Bachelor’s degree is obtained. ALL candidates shall apply early for their official Bachelor’s degree transcript to be sent to the Head of Department where the admission is being sought, before the expiration of the stated deadline in (i) above.
- Applicants for the Ph.D. degree programme shall have obtained a relevant Master degree of this or other recognized University, with an average weighted score of at least 60%. Short-listed candidates would be required to satisfy the Postgraduate School in the qualifying interviews and assessments by the relevant Department. Applicants are, therefore, advised to interact with the department to which they have applied to ascertain the date of the interview for the Ph.D. degree programme. Regardless of the Institution where the Master degree was obtained, all candidates must apply early for the official copy of their academic transcripts to be sent to the Head of Department where the admission is being sought for the purpose of this admission and before the expiration of the stated deadline.
- All Higher Degree candidates that attended foreign Universities, where English language is not the medium of instruction, should submit to the Postgraduate School, evidence of their English Language proficiency, e.g. TOEFL or IELTS scores obtained within the validity period of such certifications.
- Applicants for the Postgraduate Diplomas and Master degree Programmes will be subjected to a written assessment (qualifying examination), irrespective of the class of degree obtained, except applicants from the University of Ilorin with a First Class and Second Class, Upper Division (Honours).
- International applicants (Applicants who are domiciled outside Nigeria, and non- Nigerians, applying from outside the country) shall be exempted from the qualifying examination. However, International applicants applying from outside the country for the Doctor of Philosophy programmes shall be requested to submit a proposal of not more than 5 pages, giving details of what research they intend to carry out. This should be sent electronically to email@example.com not later than Thursday, 24th December, 2020
- Applicants applying for any of the Full-time programme of the University are expected to present a letter of release from their employers at the point of registration.
How to Apply for UNILORIN Postgraduate Admission Form
Application fee for all programmes is N25, 000.00 only for Applicants within Nigeria OR $200.00 only for International Applicants.
Application Forms are to be completed on-line and will close on Sunday, 13th December, 2020. Note that the latest date for receipt of supporting documents is Monday, 21st December, 2020. Successful applicants would be notified by e-mail.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
PLEASE NOTE: That while this advertisement serves as the invitation for the Qualifying Examination which is to be held at a date to be announced later, all applicants are strongly advised to provide their functional GSM number and e-mail addresses for further information and necessary communication. The University shall not be held responsible for any disappointment occasioned by wrong information on the part of applicants. You are hereby required to be checking your e-mails frequently.
Recommended: List of Universities Selling Postgraduate Forms for 2020/2021 Academic Session.