The Centre for Petroleum Geosciences (CPG) was established in 2011 to cater for the geoscience skills and needs of the Petroleum Sector in Nigeria and the Gulf of Guinea. The Centre’s programme is of international standard and has evolved under a culture of excellence, global vision and professionalism to meet the ever-growing needs of the technology – driven industry.
CPG offers a conducive academic setting in a bold effort to encourage purposeful learning and research, which also includes field and operational facility visits. The programme, as designed, encourages students’ team spirit and leadership skills by living together and working in teams.
UNIPORT’s effort at developing the Centre is driven by the critical national and regional need to further enhance the professional realm of the academicMaster’s Degree Programme to provide graduates with requisite competence and adequate skills that can deliver the geoscience support needs of the Petroleum Industry.
The academic programme is delivered in modules, jointly by lecturers from the University of Port Harcourt and related academic settings, and also by experts from the Petroleum Industry both within and outside Nigeria.
On completion of this unique profession-driven Master’s Degree Programme, the graduates will among other skills, be able to:
- Provide adequate geoscience inputs in the evaluation and management of Oil and Gas Fields.
- Adapt effectively to use of modern techniques in operations, development and production geosciences.
- Understand and know the state-of-the art techniques in geoscience data acquisition, processing and interpretation.
- Professionally coordinate and supervise well data gathering and interpretation.
- Participate skillfully and effectively interface in various Oil and Gas Field Review Programmes and Field Development Teams.
DURATION: The duration of the programme is 12 calendar months of intensive full-time study.
AWARD OF DEGREE: Successful students at the end of the programme shall receive a Master’s Degree in Petroleum Geoscience.
PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATION: Students shall be prepared and presented for certification as Associate Environmental Professional (AEP) by the National Registry of Environmental Professionals (NREP), USA and the Institute of Safety Professionals of Nigeria (ISPON).
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS: Candidates must possess a minimum of Bachelor’s Degree Second Class Honours (Upper Division) in Geoscience, Petroleum and Gas Engineering or relevant Petroleum Geoscience related field, and should have completed their NYSC by December, 2016. Consideration for admission may be given to Company sponsored student with a minimum of three (3) years relevant experience with Second Class Honours (Lower Division) Degree, but with a CGPA of at least 3.00 (on a 5.00 scale).
APPLICATION FEE: A non-refundable application fee of twenty-one thousand naira (N21,000) will be required to be paid to Centre for Petroleum Geosciences (CPG) on-line through e-transact to start the application procedure. The approved receiving banks for the payment are: First Bank, Access Bank, Fidelity Bank, UBA. FCMB and ECO Bank.
Applicants may access the Form on-line from CPG Website, www.cpguniport.com and follow instruction for submission. Applicants may also collect the Form in person and follow submission procedure.
Important Dates To Remember (any change will be communicated by e-mail):
- Completed Application Forms must be returned to the Director, Centre for Petroleum Geosciences, University of Port Harcourt, on or before Friday, 20th October, 2017
- Aptitude Test holds on Friday, 27th October, 2017
- Oral interview holds in Friday, 27th October, 2017
- Admitted candidates will be communicated and also names will be displayed on the CPG Website cpguniport.com on or before Friday, 24th November, 2017.
Information for applicants may be obtained by accessing www.uniport.edu.ng. Information may also be obtained by contacting CPG Office, University of Port Harcourt, via e-mail [email protected] Applicants may also contact Dr. Acra Jones of CPG Office, on phone number 08063888274 or e-mail [email protected] or [email protected] or Mrs. Virginia Naanen on phone number 08061252103.