Mastercard Foundation in collaboration with the University of Cape Town (UCT) is offering over 300 scholarships to academically talented yet economically disadvantaged students from Sub-Saharan Africa to study at UCT. The deadline for submission of applications for the University of Cape Town (UCT) Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program is 30th September 2020.
The Mastercard Foundation has partnered with the University of Cape Town (UCT) to oversee the implementation of financial, academic, social and post-graduation support to awarded candidates under the scholarship titled The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town.
Until 2020, over 300 African students will be awarded full scholarships to UCT as part of the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UCT provides full-cost scholarships to young Africans who are first-time undergraduate or postgraduate (honours and master’s) degree-seeking applicants. The scholarships ensure a premium educational package that will produce graduates whose qualifications are internationally recognised and locally applicable, and whose transition into the workforce is underpinned by values of engaged citizenship and social justice.
These scholarships cover the full period of study and are renewable annually subject to satisfactory performance and participation in the activities and opportunities offered by the programme. Successful candidates will be required to commit themselves to returning to their home countries and to invest their gained skills and education in their country’s social and economic growth.
Benefits of Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town.
The scholarships will cover for the following:
- Reimbursement of costs incurred for visa application processing;
- An economy class air ticket to Cape Town South Africa for awardees who are i) citizens and/or residents of an African country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town;
- Full tuition fees and international student fees;
- Accommodation in a student residence managed by the UCT Student Housing Admissions and Advocacy Services at UCT;
- Meals through the student housing system at UCT;
- Medical cover with a recommended medical aid service provider
- A living stipend; to be used to cover ad hoc expenses pertaining to awardees’ studies
- A book allowance to purchase the prescribed textbooks required for the degree program;
- Costs related to community activities as prescribed by The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town;
- Access to an internship opportunity, career development and job placement assistance;
- An economy class air ticket home upon completion of studies, for awardees who are i) citizens of and/or residents of an African country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town.
Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town Eligibility.
- Applicant must be a citizen of an African country;
- Applicants must have received a firm offer to study at UCT;
- Be admitted to an undergraduate or postgraduate programme and commence with their first year of registration in the Engineering and the Built Environment, Commerce, Health Sciences, Humanities, Law, or Sciences faculties at UCT;
- Be from an economically disadvantaged background, demonstrate financial need, and leadership potential;
- Applicants who intend to register for a second undergraduate or postgraduate degree at the same level are ineligible to apply for this scholarship;
- Applicants who have previously registered for an undergraduate or postgraduate degree at any higher learning institution are ineligible to apply for this scholarship.
Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town Selection Criteria.
- Academically talented – value learning and are driven to complete their education.
- Economically disadvantaged – facing significant financial barriers to completing their education.
- Committed to giving back – investing in their communities, using the skills and knowledge that they have acquired.
- Future leaders – committed to embracing ethical leadership and making a positive change in their home communities.
How to Apply for the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town.
In order to apply for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town, applicants must first apply to UCT for academic study and placement.
RECOMMENDED: Check Here for More Scholarships and Opportunities.