World Press Photo is now accepting entries from professional photographers around the world for its 2021 Contest. The deadline for submission of entries for the World Press Photo Contest is 12th January, 2021.
The World Press Photo Contest rewards photographers for the best single exposure pictures contributing to the past year of visual journalism. Whether entered as singles or stories, these pictures are judged in terms of their accurate, fair, and visually compelling insights about our world.
World Press Photo Contest Categories.
The World Press Photo Contest recognizes the best visual journalism and awards visual stories in eight categories:
- Contemporary Issues
- General News
- Long-Term Projects
- Spot News
World Press Photo Contest Eligibility.
- Open to professional photographers. Every entrant needs to provide a valid document that proves their current professional status. Examples of documents that count as proof include, but are not limited to:
- a recent letter of reference (must be from 2019 or 2020) from a photo agency, photo editor, media organization or publication;
- membership document from a recognized photographic association that show photographer is a professional member;
- at least 1 tearsheet showing your picture/s from 2019 or 2020, with your name visible as credit, in either online or print format from a recognized media organization or publication;
- journalism union membership card;
- press card.
- Team entries of two or more photographers are allowed. Per team member proof of professional status must be provided.
- The photographer(s) must be the author(s) of the pictures submitted in his/her/their name.
- The photographer(s), or the agent or representative entering on their behalf, must be the copyright holder(s) or have been authorized by the copyright holder(s) to submit the pictures.
- A picture can only be entered once, either as a single picture or as part of a story, or as part of a body of work in Long-Term Projects. Pictures submitted more than once will be removed from the contest.
- Pictures can be submitted whether or not they have been published.
Pictures must meet the following specifications:
- Upload images with the original pixel size (unless cropped). Do not scale and do not change the resolution.
- IICC profile must be embedded. AdobeRGB, sRGB or grayscale Gamma 2.2 are recommended. No CMYK.
- Must be uploaded in JPEG format with high quality compression. We will use winning images for high quality reproduction.
World Press Photo Contest Prizes.
The winners of the World Press Photo of the Year and the World Press Photo Story of the Year awards receive €5,000 each.
The prize-winning photographs are assembled into a worldwide year-long exhibition. The winning pictures are also published on World Press Photo’s website, across our social media platforms, and in our annual yearbook, which is available in multiple languages.
How to Submit Entries for World Press Photo Contest.
- Create your personal Picter account here. If you have entered the Photo Contest before, please log-in using your log-in details.
- On Picter, register for the 2021 World Press Photo Contest (starts on 1 December 2020 12.00 (noon) CET). This requires your personal data as well as your proof of professional status. You can register until 12 January 2021 12.00 (noon) CET. Your registration will be reviewed to ensure compliance with our entry rules, we reserve the right to ask for additional information to help clarify your professional status.
- While your status as a professional is under review, you can already upload your images, add captions, metadata, and other information.
- The deadline to submit your entry is 12 January 2021 12.00 (noon) CET. Until the deadline, you can always log back into your account and edit your submission.
RECOMMENDED: Check Here for More Scholarships and Opportunities.