The Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA) takes another step towards their unyielding commitment to the empowerment of African women. They proudly announce the commencement of applications for the 9th Edition of Science by Women Programme 2023. The essence of this programme aligns perfectly with FMxA’s vision – to bolster the progression of Africa by capitalising on the drive and potential of its women.
|🌍 Programme||Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA) Science by Women Programme 2023|
|🎯 Mission||Promote African women’s leadership in research & technology for Africa’s development|
|🧪 Research Focus||Health, biomedicine, agriculture, food security, water, energy, climate change|
|🚧 Challenges||Gender disparities in science & technology affecting balanced development in Africa|
|🎉 Benefits||Return flight, €2,400/month allowance (pre-tax) for expenses & insurance|
|👩🎓 Eligibility||African women with PhD (Post-doc preferred), English proficiency, significant scientific research experience in stated areas|
|🧐 Selection Criteria||Research career, project quality, impact potential, communication plan, ethical considerations|
|📆 Application Deadline||30th September 2023 via Science by Women microsite|
The Programme’s Impetus
Africa, a land teeming with potential, faces challenges across multiple fronts, from health and biomedicine to sustainable agriculture and the ramifications of climate change. The programme seeks to empower African women scientists and researchers, equipping them to address these pressing issues.
Sadly, unchecked development poses severe repercussions, primarily impacting women. Further exacerbating the situation are the social, structural, and economic hindrances that prevent them from effectively countering Africa’s challenges. The glaring gender disparity in the realms of science and technology doesn’t just affect women – it impacts the entire African populace. Bridging this chasm is essential for the balanced, sustainable growth of African nations, ushering them towards a brighter, more equitable future.
With the Science by Women programme, the FMxA strives to position African women researchers at the forefront of Africa’s shift towards a knowledge-driven, innovative economy. By doing so, the research can transform into tangible products, processes, and services that significantly impact people’s lives. The programme achieves its commendable goals through strategic partnerships with Spanish Centres of Excellence, renowned both in Spain and globally, ensuring unparalleled scientific research across diverse sectors.
What Does the Programme Offer?
Selected candidates will be privy to:
- A round-trip flight between their origin and the host institution.
- A monthly living allowance of €2,400 (subject to a 24% tax deduction). This stipend encompasses accommodation, personal expenses, and comprehensive insurance coverage.
- You must identify as a woman.
- You should be an African national.
- PhD holders are preferred, with post-doctoral experience being a significant advantage.
- An existing association with an African-based university, or a non-profit organisation focused on pivotal scientific research.
- A distinguished academic history, coupled with substantial research experience.
- Proficient in English.
The FMxA Scientific Committee, known for its rigorous standards, will undertake the selection. Applicants will be gauged on:
- Their academic and research trajectory.
- The innovative potential and scientific calibre of their project.
- The tangible societal or economic repercussions of their research.
- A robust plan for project result communication and dissemination.
- Ethical considerations relevant to the project.
How to Apply?
Mark the deadline on your calendars – September 30, 2023. Applications are only accepted in English, submitted through the Science by Women microsite.
- A Letter of Interest (maximum of 1 page).
- A comprehensive CV (Europass format suggested).
- A duly filled application form.
- A concise description (up to 2 pages) of the project envisioned for execution at the Spanish host centre.
Please ensure research proposals align with the core research avenues of the chosen centre. Further details can be found in the Rules & Guidelines document.
For a deeper insight into the programme, visit Science by Women.
Seize this chance to make a mark, drive change, and script a brighter future for Africa! 🌍🔬👩🔬
RECOMMENDED: Check Here for More Scholarships and Opportunities.