African Doctoral Academy (ADA) is now accepting applications from suitably qualified candidates for its Summer School Scholarship at Stellenbosch University. The deadline for submission of applications is 10th October, 2018.
The African Doctoral Academy (ADA) is privileged to offer a limited number of candidates, at the start of their Doctoral careers, the opportunity to attend the ADA Summer School at Stellenbosch University in January 2019.
In awarding this funding, our aim is to give successful candidates the opportunity to attend an ADA Doctoral School and spend time at a world-class research university, building their individual capacity and resilience for the journey ahead. This Summer the ADA will offer 19 courses over three weeks which includes a non-compulsory preparatory course followed by week-long courses in Research Design and Methodology (Quantitative and Qualitative), Mixed Methods Research Design as well as courses in analytical techniques and software applications (such as SPSS, R and ATLAS.ti), Preparing for a PhD, Writing and Publishing articles and training in Doctoral Supervision.
African Doctoral Academy (ADA) Summer School Eligibility.
- Open to delegates across South Africa and Africa, as well as a select number awards for SU candidates based in Stellenbosch;
- Eligible candidates can be from any discipline and will be enrolled at their home institutions by February 2019 and have been enrolled for no more than 12 months by 1 February 2019;
- If your application is dependent on the bursary, they suggest that you wait for the outcome before applying to avoid duplication;
- Stellenbosch University registered candidates can apply via this stream – they include a field to indicate your affiliation with the university;
- Preference will be given to candidates from Africa.
African Doctoral Academy (ADA) Summer School Benefits.
Successful candidates will be awarded the following as part of the programme:
- Two, week-long courses at the ADA Summer School
- The option to attend a preparatory course (03 – 05 January), as well as a one day course (12 January)
- Self-catering accommodation in Stellenbosch
- Transport to visit the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town on Sunday 13 January.
- Return Economy airfare to and from Cape Town International Airport, if applicable
- Ground Transport to and from Cape Town International Airport
- They request that the candidate’s home institution sponsors the candidate’s daily subsistence allowance and visa fees if needed, as a token of good faith in support of their PhD candidate.
How to Apply for African Doctoral Academy (ADA) Summer School.
- Applicants must complete the online form to submit their details and apply to take part in the programme. This includes a field with a 300 word motivation of how the Summer School would benefit your research and track as a PhD candidate.
- Applicants have to upload the following documents as part of the application process. No documents will be accepted by email. Please make use of the following naming convention: your surname.document_type.programme (for example smit.curriculumvitae.edp.doc). Your application will not be considered as complete if you do not submit all the required documentation in full. In this case and you will be unable to submit the form if all documents are not uploaded:
- A 300 word motivation on why you would benefit from the residency in general, and specifically how the workshops selected would assist and add to the successful completion of your degree (in line on the form)
- Curriculum Vitae (Resume)
- Brief description of your research (roughly 400 words)
- A written approval / referee report
- On your university letterhead & containing your supervisor’s signature by the current (home) supervisor or head of department to endorse the applicant’s application. This will indicate the home supervisor’s approval for the applicant to participate in the ADA’s Summer School and provide legitimacy of applicant’s intention.
- They will award a bonus point during the evaluation process if your supervisor also states your case and your suitability for the programme, in addition to simply endorsing your application.
- Proof of registration where possible, otherwise a separate motivation from the home supervisor is required, confirming registration by February 2019.
RECOMMENDED: Check Here for More Scholarships and Opportunities.