Applications are invited from future leaders from developing countries for the DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme 2021 (Master’s Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance – PPGG). The deadline for the submission of applications is 31st July, 2020.
This programme is designed to further qualify future leaders in politics, law, economics and administration according to the principles of good governance and to prepare them in a practice-oriented course for their professional life.
Very good graduates with a first university degree get the chance to obtain a master’s degree in disciplines that are of special relevance to the social, political and economic development of their home country. The knowledge and experience acquired in Germany should enable the scholarship holders to later contribute to the establishment of democratically oriented economic and social systems aimed at overcoming social tensions. With this programme, DAAD intends to support the good governance and civil society structures in selected partner countries and regions.
About DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme.
The DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme (known as Public Policy and Good Governance) supports future leaders from developing countries (see list of countries), who want to promote democracy and social justice in their home countries. The programme, which is funded by the German Federal Foreign Office, offers the chance to acquire a Master’s degree in Master programmes of particular relevance for the social, political and economic development in the students’ countries of origin. In the light of the principles of Good Governance, highly qualified graduates with a first academic degree are being educated in political science, law, economics and administration and prepared for future leading positions in their home countries.
DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme Eligibility.
- The scholarship programme is open to graduates from developing countries in the field of social sciences, political sciences, law, economics and in public administration.
- Africa, Latin America, South Asia, Southeast Asia and Central Asia, from countries in the Middle East as well as from the Ukraine
- The programme is open for very well qualified graduates with a first university degree (bachelor or equivalent) who want to actively contribute to the social and economic development of their home countries or regions.
- It is offered both for young graduates without professional experience and for mid-career professionals.
DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme Requirements.
- Academic degree with far above average results (upper third)
- language skills (every university has different language proficiency requirements)
- political and social engagement
- a convincing description of the subject-related and personal motivation for the study project in Germany
- expected benefit when returning to the home country or region
- Most recent university degree should be obtained in the last six years prior to the application for the scholarship.
- Applicants who have stayed in Germany for more than 15 months at the time of the application deadline are not considered as eligible.
- All master´s courses have further additional requirements that must be fulfilled by the applicants in any case.
DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme Award.
- Scholarship of monthly 850 € for selected master´s programmes at German institutions of higher education listed below.
- The study programmes are usually starting in Sep/Oct 2021 and are taught in German and/or English.
- contributions to health insurance in Germany
- appropriate travel allowance
- study and research subsidy
- monthly rent subsidy where applicable
- allowances for spouses and/or children where applicable
- 6-months-German language course from April 2021 up to the end of September 2021. The language course takes place at selected institutes in Germany and usually not at the universities of the selected master´s programmes. The language course is compulsory also for those who attend a master´s course taught in English.
Due to its blended-learning-concept the following special conditions are laid down to finance the study programme “Analysis and design of social protection systems”:
- During the online semester in your home country or another developing country DAAD provides a sur-place-rate of 500 EUR.
- Allowances for spouses and/or children are not applicable, as far as the programme includes study-phases in Germany and in your home country.
The scholarship holders are offered a special tutoring at their host institutions financed by DAAD. Furthermore, the scholars are invited to participate at different networking events.
DAAD-scholarship holders within the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme are exempted from tuition fees.
How to Apply for DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme.
Applications must be submitted in German or English.
Please indicate that you are applying for the DAAD Helmut-SchmidtProgramme (Master’s scholarships for Public Po-licy and Good Governance). You are allowed to submit your application for up to two master`s courses listed below.
- Fill in the DAAD Application form for Research Grants and Study Scholarships (annex 2) only once making clear which study course is your first and which is your second priority.
- Write a single letter of motivation for both university courses you choose, justifying your first and second priority choice.
- Send the DAAD scholarship form together with the letter of motivation and accompanied with the necessary documents listed below to the two universities of your choice. Do NOT send it to DAAD.
The necessary documents are:
- DAAD Application form for Research Grants and Study Scholarships (hand-signed, but electronically edited)
- Hand-signed and dated motivation letter (one single letter for both universities) containing a precise description of the applicants’ academic/professional and personal reasons for choosing those master´s programmes and universities (two pages maximum)
- Hand-signed and dated full curriculum vitae including information about the precise field of your studies, your political and social engagement and, if applicable, description of job experience
- Copy of acquired Academic Degrees (certified translation if necessary, please attach an explanation of the grading system)
- Copy of the transcript of records (certified translation if necessary)
- Recent language certificates (German and/or English)
- One letter of recommendation, signed and recently dated by your university professor or current employer, supplemented by an official letterhead, and stamp (not in a sealed envelope)
- If applicable certificates of employment to support relevant professional experience mentioned in your CV by documentary evidence
Apply Here Official Link
RECOMMENDED: Check Here for More Scholarships and Opportunities.