LASU Construction Projects will Boost Learning — Commissioner:
COMMISSIONER of Works and Infrastructure, Lagos State, Dr. Obafemi Hamzat, has stated that the massive construction projects going on in Lagos State University (LASU) will not only change the architectural landscape of the institution but boost learning.
- ASUU Strike: Imo State University (IMSU) Pulls Out, Resumes Academic Session
- Mountain Top University (MTU) JUPEB Admission Form for 2022/2023 Academic Session
- Afe Babalola University Ado-Ekiti (ABUAD) Pre-Degree, JUPEB/Foundation Admission Form for 2022/2023 Academic Session
- Ajayi Crowther University (ACU) JUPEB/Pre-Degree Admission Form for 2022/2023 Academic Session
- Benue State University (BSU) Pre-VTS Admission Form
Speaking at the inspection tour of LASU projects, he said he will ensure that engineering students are carried along to construction sites to enhance knowledge transfer.
According to him, knowledge transfer is very imperative as students need to see how designs and quality constructions are done and to embrace best practices in the built profession. He said for the country to rise above the educational challenge and poor output of students, the era of training scientists and other professional courses using theoretical approach must cease.
Asked if he was satisfied with the slow pace of work in the school, he said: “I am okay with the pace of work, that is the way it is programmed because learning is going on on the campus as well. As an engineering student in University of Ibadan, I didn’t get to see concrete till my fourth year. Here we involve students to take part in the construction. Even during the Lekki-Ikoyi bridge construction, we brought 84 students to also take part. The knowledge transfer aspect is important to us, we cannot continue to be bringing Chinese contractors when our students can do same.”