Umaru Musa Yar’adua University (UMYU) is currently accepting applications from suitably qualified individuals to occupy the position of Vice Chancellor in the university. See the requirements and how to apply for the post of UMYU Vice Chancellor below.
The Governing Council of Umaru Musa Yar’adua University, Katsina, has declared that the Office of the Vice Chancellor of the University will soon be vacant. In accordance with Sections 4 and 5 of the First Schedule of the University Law, the Council has directed that applications be invited from suitably qualified distinguished academics with cognate experience in university teaching and administration of not less than ten (10) years.
The Vice Chancellor is the Chief Executive and Academic Officer of the University, ex-officio Chairman of the Senate and Member of the Governing Council of the University. Among other functions, the Vice Chancellor shall:
- be competent at all time to advise the Council on any matter affecting the policy, finance and administration of the University;
- be generally responsible to the Council for maintaining the efficiency and good order of the University and for ensuring the proper enforcement of Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations;
- be responsible for discipline in the University and advance learning, knowledge and promote talent;
- regulate the admission of the students in accordance with the guidelines and procedures approved by the Senate.
QUALITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS OF THE CANDIDATES
Interested candidates for the position of Vice Chancellor, Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto, are expected to be:
- distinguished scholars who are Professors with demonstrated ability to provide exemplary academic leadership and proven managerial capacity;
- not more than sixty (60) years at the time of assumption of duty;
- scholars of the highest moral standards, impeccable character traits, proven integrity and irrevocable commitment to best practices in corporate governance; with particular emphasis on accountability, transparency and probity, and must be scholars who can ensure optimum utilization of scarce resources for maximum public good;
- scholars with irrevocable commitment to the cardinal values of merit, consistency and fairness as operating principles and who can apply these across the board without succumbing to sociopolitical pressure, in particular, and must not cave in under societal pressures out of the desire to remain in office;
- scholars who are Information and Communication Technology (ICT) proficient, committed to the mainstreaming of ICT into University wide programmes and activities;
- scholars who will be able to attract research grants and complementary funds from local and international agencies, and further uplift the academic stature of the University;
- scholars who should be able to relate effectively and productively with the Government, Non-government Agencies, the Alumni, the local community and foster linkages with institutions within and outside Nigeria;
- scholars who should be persons who are not likely to foster personal, racial, ethnic, political, religious or other sectional interest and who are also capable of inspiring the members of University community towards the attainment of its goals;
- scholars who should have very good understanding of the Objectives, Mission and Vision of the University;
- scholars who should be individuals who, judging from their tract records, are likely to command the respect as well as loyalty of members of staff, students and the University community; and
- persons who enjoy excellent physical and mental health.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
The salary and conditions of service are as applicable to the post of Vice Chancellor in Nigerian Federal Universities, as determined by Government and the Governing Council of the University from time to time.
The Vice Chancellor shall hold office for a single term of five (5) years.
How to Apply for the Post of UMYU Vice Chancellor.
Interested applicants are invited to note and comply with the following conditions
- Each application (25 copies) should be accompanied by 25 copies of the candidate’s detailed “Curriculum Vitae” (CV), signed and dated by the candidate. The CV must contain, among others, the candidate’s name in full, age, marital status, nationality, educational attainments with dates, number of PhD candidates supervised and graduated, research output, academic and non-academic recognition, professional achievements, scholarly publications in renowned domestic and international journals with dates and books;
- Each application should be accompanied by a certificate of birth or statutory declaration of age, and certificate of medical fitness based on documented comprehensive medical examination from a Government hospital;
- A statement of the candidate’s vision for Umaru Musa Yar’adua University, Katsina in the 21 Century of not more than 1500 words (25 copies);
- In the case of a nominated or “searched candidates”, the CV must be accompanied by a letter of consent duly signed and dated by the candidate;
- Each candidate must have three (3) referees who should be requested by the candidate to forward their referee’s reports directly to the REGISTRAR under confidential cover. Such referees should be in a position to attest to the candidate’s claim to high academic standard,
managerial capacity and moral uprightness. A referee’s report that highlights the candidate weakness will command higher credibility;
- All shortlisted candidates will be required to make themselves available for interaction with the Joint Council/Senate Selection Board.
All applications are to be forwarded under confidential cover in an envelope marked at the upper left hand corner ‘POST OF VICE-CHANCELLOR‘ Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto to reach the Registrar and Secretary to Council NOT later than two (2) weeks from the date of this publication.
All applications received will be duly acknowledged.
Registrar and Secretary to Council
If you think this post can be helpful to somebody else, please share it on Twitter, Facebook, Whatsapp or Email it to friends. There are buttons below for this (easy to use too)!