THE Caretaker Chairman of Dikwa Local Government Area, Alhaji Ali Modu Gana and member House of Assembly, representing Dikwa, Mohammed Zakariya have denied reports by a section of the media that many students were ambushed and killed by suspected Boko Haram terrorists while on their way to write the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, UTME, held last Saturday nationwide.
This was even as authorities of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, JAMB, in Yobe and Borno States have also denied that any of its candidates was killed as widely reported.
The senator representing Borno Central, Ahmed Zannah, was reportedly quoted as having said in Abuja that 210 people including students/ JAMB candidates were killed in the area, between Thursday and Friday last week.
But the caretaker chairman, Alhaji Gana and Zakariya said at a joint interview that the reports were not only false but misleading. They said that contrary to misleading reports that some students of Dikwa were killed, “some suspected terrorists invaded Government Secondary School Dikwa, but when they discovered that the council and the school authorities have already relocated all the students to Maiduguri following insecurity,
they asked for the whereabouts of the Principal, Mallam Modu Mai Abdullahi who was not even in the school, as he was in Maiduguri to monitor his students writing the Senior Secondary School Certificate Examinations, SSCE. Unfortunately, when the security guards on duty informed the attackers that the principal was not around, they killed seven persons including three of the security men, two teachers including the duty Master,
one SSII student and a store keeper, before torching the Principal’s official residence, some classroom blocks and the science laboratory complex.” They, however, commended the security operatives and men of the vigilante group, (popularly known as Kes Kes in Shuwa language), meaning ‘Volunteered Group Against Terrorists’ for the gallantry they displayed by repelling the attackers. (Vanguard)