Kwara State House of Assembly has passed a bill seeking to change the name of Kwara State University, KWASU to Abubakar Sola Saraki University, ASSU.
The speaker said: With the commencement of this law, KWASU shall be Abubakar Sola Saraki University, ASSU, wherever it occurs in the University law and the law may be cited as Kwara State University Amendment Law.”
- ASUU Strike: Imo State University (IMSU) Pulls Out, Resumes Academic Session
- Mountain Top University (MTU) JUPEB Admission Form for 2022/2023 Academic Session
- Afe Babalola University Ado-Ekiti (ABUAD) Pre-Degree, JUPEB/Foundation Admission Form for 2022/2023 Academic Session
- Ajayi Crowther University (ACU) JUPEB/Pre-Degree Admission Form for 2022/2023 Academic Session
- Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) Remedial & Basic Studies (IJMB) Registration Procedure for 2021/2022 Academic Session
The bill, read for the third time before its passage yesterday had been subjected to public hearing after it scaled first and second reading.
The report of the House Committee on Education and Human Capital Development claimed that only five (5) of the stake holders were against the proposed Bill… on the ground that State and Local Government resources would be used to fund the University hence, KWASU should not be renamed after Sola Saraki. The committee said 35 of the stakeholders were of the view that KWASU be renamed after the late Political Icon due to his socio-economic and political contributions to the development of Kwara State in particular and Nigeria in general.
The report added that 40 stakeholders made both oral and written submissions.
The house, however, endorsed the recommendations of the committee and approved the renaming of the University after Saraki.