BSU VC job vacancy › Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the vacant post of Vice-Chancellor at Benue State University, Makurdi (BSUM), Benue State, Nigeria.
Established in 1992, Benue State University (BSU) Makurdi, was the first state owned university in Northern Nigeria. The vision, mission and core values of the university are the signposts of its mandate. The university has a total enrollment of 29,459 students (27,712 undergraduates and 1,347 graduates). BSU runs 59 accredited undergraduate programs and more than a dozen postgraduate programs across the 9 faculties of the university. The university is the seat of the Center for Food Technology and Research (CEFTER) – a World Bank Academic Centre of Excellence serving West and Central Africa. The university’s academic staff strength is 561 including 92 full professors. BSU is on an exciting journey of change and meaning to reposition and distinguish as a national centre of excellence.
The university is seeking a Vice-Chancellor who will lead this exciting journey for the next 5 years. The Vice- Chancellor is the Chief Academic Officer, Chief Executive Officer, Chief Accounting Officer and Chief Security Officer of the university responsible to Council and Senate and his/her position carries with it specific legal, fiduciary and regulatory responsibilities.
Key Responsibilities of the Position
- Provide academic, strategic and change leadership to the university.
- Formulate and drive the university’s 2021-2025 Strategic Plan.
- Grow and ensure sustainability of the BSU Endowment Fund.
- Promote BSU as an entrepreneurial institution and an international brand.
- Develop focus areas for academic research, expansion and infrastructure development.
- Develop and grow ‘BSU Online’ to expand access and respond to current Higher Education challenges.
- Commit to foster, celebrate, appreciate and hold up, diversity and inclusion.
- Develop essential linkages with international players in higher education to promote strategic partnerships and advance cutting edge research in BSU.
- Commit to fostering a culture of meritocracy, innovation, ethical conduct and civic engagement.
Desirable Skills and Personality Characteristics
The candidate who should not be more than 60 years by 3rd November 2020 should embody all or most of the following attributes:
- A record of academic and scholarly accomplishment, personal and academic credibility, evidence of high academic standards and rigor, national and international renown.
- Knowledge and commitment to the core values of BSU.
- Demonstrate excellent knowledge of the Nigerian and African Higher Education landscape, its current and future challenges including opportunities.
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of BSU as a State university, its role in the development of the state and its commitment to being a regional hub of excellence and promoter of public good.
- A good understanding of the role of libraries, laboratories, technology, curriculum reform and entrepreneurship in higher education.
- A strong vision for student success, staff and faculty professional development, conflict management and a feasible plan for developing and maintaining stable academic calendars.
- A good understanding of how to grow and progress a university in a virtual environment.
- Evidence of sound judgment, ethical and responsible conduct, track record of successful leadership and innovation, strong moral standing.
- A good understanding of Distance Learning/Online programs and their place in post COVID-19 university education.
- Functional competencies in policy/program development and implementation, multi-sector fundraising and financial management.
- A PhD in or related to one of the disciplines represented in the university and a full Professorial rank in a recognized university.
Conditions of Service
- The appointment will be for a single term of 5 years while salary and allowances shall be competitive and determined by Council.
- A letter of application addressed to the Registrar and Secretary to Council, Benue State University Makurdi.
- A signed detailed Curriculum Vitae including the names and addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses of 5 referees.
- 5 signed Referee reports addressed to the Registrar of the university attesting to the character and academic competencies of the applicant relative to this advertisement.
- A Statement of Interest of not more than 1500 words that addresses the applicant’s approach to university governance and details how she/he is most suitably qualified to lead
- BSU as a centre of academic excellence on its exciting journey of change and distinction. In addition, the statement should identify challenges envisioned and propose mitigating strategies and innovations she/he will bring to the table as a change agent.
- A signed and dated statement accepting the university’s regulations and procedures for the appointment of the Vice Chancellor and the timeframe set for the process. (Applicants should access information on this from www.bsum.edu.ng)
- A signed and dated statement to the effect that the applicant is not a member of any Cult or Secret Society.
- Copies of academic certificates, birth certificate and certificate of state origin.
Submission of Applications and Closing Date
- Applicants should follow the steps provided on the university website (www.bsum.edu.ng) to upload their applications and application materials.
- Closing date for submission of applications is 4pm (Nigerian time), 10th September 2020. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CLICK HERE for more Job postings.
If you think this post can be helpful to somebody else, please share it on Twitter, Facebook, Whatsapp or Email it to friends. There are buttons below for this (easy to use too)!